Purchasing CoordinatorEvansville, IN or Woodland, CA
PGP International, an ABF Ingredients Company, is seeking a Purchasing Coordinator who wants to make a positive difference as we continue to grow! The successful candidate will become part of our Purchasing Team based in either Evansville, IN or Woodland, CA.
The primary duties will involve leading the sourcing and purchasing efforts for Food Ingredients and Packaging in support of PGP manufacturing facilities. The role may also be required to support and assist in the procurement of indirect items on an “as-needed” basis, to provide holiday/vacation coverage as appropriate. This role may expand into other areas of procurement in the future to support the overall business.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage sourcing/purchasing for direct expenditures in the Food Ingredients and Packaging supply chains, including working with the Production Planner, Operations, Logistics, Finance, Quality Assurance and New Product Development resources to identify specifications, negotiating terms and pricing, delivery and quality.
- Use the Microsoft Dynamics System to establish material requirements. Quickly develop a good understanding of the system and learn to interpret the data appropriately. Execute purchase orders in the Microsoft Dynamics (DAX) system for direct materials and packaging, expedite orders where needed, and follow up on open orders. Communicate with Production Planning and other functions in the business as to status of orders.
- Review orders for completeness, accuracy and compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Coordinate delivery of orders with suppliers or with internal logistics to meet required delivery dates.
- Provide forecasted supply requirements to suppliers and reconcile supplier contracts and agreements vs. current status.
- Maintain Master Data for items and suppliers within the system, including lead times, safety stock levels, economic order quantities, etc. to proactively manage supply chains and inventory levels.
- Participate as a member of the multi-functional team to establish and set up new suppliers and Ingredients & Packaging items, gathering relevant information on a timely basis.
- Identify and research potential alternative suppliers who can effectively service the strategic needs of our business.
- Work closely with the Regulatory & Compliance function to facilitate the effective approval of new vendors, gathering relevant information on a timely basis.
- Coordinate and support work with Quality Assurance, Operations, Regulatory & Compliance and Finance and suppliers to resolve quality, delivery and other issues and work towards continual improvement. Maintain open and timely communication with Internal customers on the status of orders and potential issues.
- Use Strategic Sourcing processes and tools (e-sourcing, RFP’s, RFQ’s, etc.) to identify the best value sources of supply for the organization and developing category management skills.
- Negotiate price and payment terms, and place Purchase orders with suppliers, following all relevant systems and policies and ensuring that the best interests of the companies are met at all times.
- Work closely with Suppliers and our Planning and Logistics functions to ensure that stock levels and delivery schedules meet the needs of the business. This may involve import/export documentation and liaison with relevant Agencies (eg, US Customs, FDA, etc.) so experience in this area would be advantageous.
- Partnering with our R&D function to clearly identify functional and other requirements of new items and securing material samples for trial purposes.
- Communicating effectively and as appropriate with all internal departments to ensure that information is made available and potential issues are dealt with in a timely and efficient manner.
- Attend meetings as required to support project needs and all supply chains.
- Define and Manage optimal inventory levels of stocked items to optimize support of the operation while factoring in demand, shelf-life and other factors.
- Works with the Director of Procurement to reinforce current Purchasing policies and procedures and define and implement new policies or improved policies where needed.
- Learn to recognize and evaluate market and economic conditions and make recommendations to leadership on procurement matters accordingly.
- Maintain organized files for suppliers, products and items and retain product information files.
- Foster a continuous improvement focus, striving to improve operations, improve work processes and provide excellent customer service and cooperation to internal customers.
- Understands PGP safety rules and policies and works to support and improve our safety performance through their work.
- Promptly reports safety or quality issues that need attention.
- Performs other tasks and assignments as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Materials Management, Supply Chain, Engineering, or related field preferred. Equivalent significant experience will be considered.
- Minimum of 2-4 years in Purchasing/Inventory Control/Planning processes or systems in a production environment, preferably in Food manufacturing.
- Institute for Supply Management C.P.M. or CPSM certification preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills to develop positive and professional relationships with Suppliers and Internal Customers.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as specifications, product data sheets and market information on relevant commodities.
- Strong mathematical and analytical capability to accurately evaluate and summarize data.
- Ability to plan and prioritize work, and write routine business correspondence and reports.
- Communication skills to present information and respond to inquiries from internal customers, suppliers and colleagues.
- Ability to establish and manage multiple priorities in a dynamic environment.
- Proven ability to learn new processes and concepts quickly.
- An ability to challenge current work processes and norms and seek improved ways to serve our business for improved business results.
- Strong computer skills and proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook. Experience in ERP systems (and particularly Microsoft Dynamics AX) a plus.
- A strong team work ethic demonstrated by providing proactive support and assistance to colleagues.
- Position may require some travel, less than 10%.
If you are interested in being considered for this role, please click here to apply.